witticisms by Jess Witty

August 11, 2012

Foodie Fun

Hello, all!

It's August release time for Papertrey Ink.  And just like NBC and the Olympics, we're bringing you continuing coverage of this month's release ;)

I'm starting off today's coverage with the marriage of my two faves...
stamps and food, people... stamps and food.

{Special shout out to all my North Texas SAF gals... thought of you all as I made these!}


Today's post is all about a brand new set from Dawn McVey... Foodie Fun.  The sun was shining down on me when this set was assigned because... come on... you guys know I love a good food gift!

{I'd like to submit Exhibit A: potted mint cakes, Exhibit B: strawberry cookies, and Exhibit C: baby shower cakes & cookies into evidence.  Seriously.  I have a problem.}

Of the six food images in Foodie Fun (six plus a few small accent images and seven sentiments) I went straight to my favorite... the pie.

Obviously ;)


I couldn't help myself.
Because this whole "in-a-jar" trend... yeah... I bought into that way back when and nope... I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

I went back to my first in-a-jar love for this one... good ol' pumpkin pie. 
{If you have the time for homemade, this pie and crumble crust recipe is awesome!  I went for quick and semi-homemade this time with a ready made pie crust.}

I used some inexpensive muslin for the jar cover.  I traced a few circles on the backside and cut them out using pinking shears.  Here's the key, though... I backed the center of the muslin with a simple circle of cardstock (I used spray adhesive on the cardstock to adhere it to the muslin). 


That gave my fabric a more sturdy base... super helpful both for stamping a clean image and for keeping the image straight and undistorted when screwing the lid on top.  Trust me on this one.  You'll thank me later.

I stamped the pie plate, pie crust, and steam images, then added a label image from Mat Stack 4 Collection and filled it with the perfect "pumpkin" sentiment from Halloween Treats & Sweets.  The pinked edge die from the Button Card collection made the perfect little tag for the Foodie Fun sentiment.



And there you have the dessert I will be eating tonight.
If anyone was coming over, I might share... but no one's coming, so apparently I'll have to eat it :) 

These are always a hit for a crowd, though... perfect party or shower desserts, but also great to take to a friend when you're delivering a meal or just delivering a little pick-me-up.  I know I'd love a little pumpkin pick-me-up :)


Next up in today's foodie adventure... nearly everyone's favorite...


chocolate.
Be still my heart.

That little chocolate image... it was just begging to be made into a little 3D bar, right? 

I started by using the Foodie Fun die to cut 4 pieces of thin chipboard and one cardstock layer.  I stamped the Dark Chocolate layer with the bar image in VersaMark and embossed the top portion with clear embossing powder.  That deepens the color of the "chocolate" and gives it that yummy shine :)


A little liquid glue between all the layers holds everything together.

I inked the edges of the chipboard with Dark Chocolate and then wrapped the whole bar up in some foil.  All that was left was adding the stamped chocolate bar label.  I just stamped the chocolate image again, left the sides long, then tore the top off to leave the label and folded the foil down over it.

Not gonna lie... I kinda love it :)



I couldn't resist splitting the sentiment to make it a tad more sassy...


Masking it off was super simple... I just covered the second part of the sentiment with scotch tape, inked the sentiment, and pulled the tape off the stamp before I stamped it down.


I used the negative portion of the Tag Sale #5 die to stamp the second part of the sentiment on. 
Love how it repeats the shape and points to the first sentiment :)  Kinda fun.


Last up... a super simple one layer card...


I have a special place in my heart for this little dutch oven.  My mom and dad used an avocado green one *just* like it when I was growing up... and yeah... they still have it.  Still going strong after 30 some odd years (ahem).

I wanted to keep this one simple and modern, so I alternated the image with a fun color scheme of Ripe Avocado, Simply Chartreuse, Ocean Tides, and Aqua Mist.  I overstamped the main image with VersaMark and added some clear embossing powder to give it that shine.  The little steam lends me a hand by leading the eye right to the focal point. 



Well, kids... I hope you're loving Foodie Fun as much as I am.  Such a fun set to work with.
Or is it the food that makes it fun...? 

Probably both ;)

To check out even more Foodie Fun action, be sure to stop by Nichole's blog!
More to come, friends! 
I'll be back with more on Monday...


{Pumpkin Pie-in-a-Jar}
Supplies not available now but available 7/15: 
Stamps - Foodie Fun
Supplies available now:
Stamps - Mat Stack 4 Collection, Halloween Treats & Sweets
CS - White
PP - Fine Linen
Ink - Kraft, Dark Chocolate, Pure Poppy, Canyon Clay
Die - Button Card
Other - muslin, Chocolate Baker's Twine


{More Thank Chocolate} card
Supplies not available now but available 7/15: 
Stamps - Foodie Fun
Die - Foodie Fun
Supplies available now:
CS - White, Aqua Mist
Ink - Dark Chocolate
PP - Crate Paper
Die - Tag Sale #5
Other - Filigree clear embossing powder, foil


{Dinner Tastes Better} card
Supplies not available now but available 7/15: 
Stamps - Foodie Fun
Supplies available now:
CS - White, Simply Chartreuse
Ink - Ripe Avocado, Simply Chartreuse, Ocean Tides, Aqua Mist, Dark Chocolate, VersaMark
Other - Filigree clear embossing powder

35 comments:

Kelly S. said...

Oh that chocolate bar is so ADORABLE! An authentic...if the pie in a jar didn't have my mouth watering, that candy did me in!! So creative, Jess...love the stamping on the canvas topper!

Jennifer T. said...

You always come up with the most clever projects! I love everything you made,but especially the chocolate bar card.

Kristin said...

Really?? The chocolate bar?? Very cool! I do not know how you thought of that but so cool- and it makes me want to buy it just for that ;). Love your first project of course :) and I'm going to try out that recipe too!!

Leigh Penner said...

Fabulous projects, Jess! And that chocolate bar is AMAZING! Seriously jaw-droppping!

Rhonda said...

Oh jeez Jess!! This one wasn't on my radar till now. I love the pie in a jar deal. Did peach cobbler that way. Yummy! I'm thinking the next get together should just be desserts!

see mary stamp said...

You never fail to deliver inspiration with your projects Jess. Love them all.

jintyoo7 said...

Brilliant :)

KAREN said...

Love what you have done with this set. Love your chocolate bar the most!!!

Danielle Flanders said...

adorable projects, Jess!!

Dawn Cosgrove said...

You always have the coolest projects!! That chocolate bar dumbfounded me, however did you come up with that?? So cool!!

Jill Norwood said...

Jess I am in "foodie" heaven! These projects are amazing. I felt like I could reach through the computer to eat your chocolate bar it looks soooo real! Real and yummy! Craving me some pumpkin pie, chocolate and maybe a nice stew from that lovely one layer card at the end! Great post! You always inspire!!!!

Sue in Grapevine said...

I love your projects & your writing style! The chocolate bar is brilliant!
I told you that I always save your posts as "the best for last" & it remains true.
I was so glad you came for SAF day & look forward to another N.TX get-together.

Jana said...

The chocolate bar is so clever. I love the Jar too!

Cindy O said...

These are just amazing! Love your "realistic" touches for the chocolate bar. And the multiple dutch ovens. Thanks for the inspiration.

Connie and Jack said...

Oh my, I'm loving the Foodie set. Great cards!
-- Connie C.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love your projects! The pie is adorable, and your dutch oven card is so cute! And your chocolate bar card - absolutely fabulous!!! I love your creativity and your style!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

That bar is mouth watering. Always creative cards.
Clara

Nancy said...

I thought I was going to wait on the Foodie stamp set... but You and your adorable projects have changed all that thinking!! You are so clever! Enjoy the pumpkin pie!

Debbie Olson said...

YOu nailed these, Jessica! Love, love what you did with them!

Jan Larson said...

Your cards are fabulous! The chocolate bar is brilliant! I always love your PTI projects, not just because you make great cards and such, but because I love your writing style, too! You always make me smile!

Luvpurple said...

WOW! That 3-D chocolate bar looks good enough to eat! Chocolate w/fiber. whoda thunk!

Awesome!

Jessica Strider said...

Awesome cards! Love the faux chocolate bar! And thanks for the super easy masking technique. :)

Diana K said...

Your 3D chocolate bar? Pure genius! And i also love your simple dutch oven card - so modern and yet so heartwarming.

Diana

Cathy Weber said...

I immediately starting thinking where could I get that kind of chocolate bar which would fit so perfectly into that image! It looked so real, love every bit of your post today...especially the avocado pots. I actually remember them very well, probably because I used some myself since I am closer to your moms age than yours! Great job, loved your examples today as always.

Unknown said...

Um...BRILLIANT. that pie in a jar looks DELICIOUS, and I'm not a pumpkin fan. and yeah, that 3D chocolate bar??? GENIUS! Love Love Love it. :) I think I need to go grab a snack ;) Thanks for the inspiration!

Tanis S said...

OK, that chocolate bar is completely adorable! And I suddenly have a strong craving for pumpkin pie! Yum.

Rebecca Ednie said...

I love the pie in the jar et al but that mini chocolate bar? Bestill my beating heart! Wowzers! MAJOR ADORATION!

Vicki said...

Fantastic projects! Love them all.

Tracey McNeely said...

Jess today's post is genius! I want to eat it all especially your faux chocolate bar!

Susan Gosman said...

Wow! What an amzing imagination. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

Oh my! You are simply amazing! And a genius. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything in this post. And I'm not even a chocolate lover, but I love chocolate now after seeing your card. I can see myself returning to this post again and again just to admire your beautifully creative work. :)

Anonymous said...

Dawn's "Foodie Fun" set is just
adorable and I love the card that
you made with the dutch oven. And
that chocolate bar looks good
enough to eat! Great inspiration.


Sherry in MI

Amy Papale said...

How clever! That chocolate bar looks like you could eat it right off the card!! Love your projects!!

Unknown said...

such an intelligently made card. love it.

Charlene Austin said...

Stop it! Are you kidding me with that chocolate bar?!! Oh my word....girly you rock my dieting world.