witticisms by Jess Witty

May 07, 2010

Holla

No, not hola. Holla! This is not your mother's Mother's Day card, my friends. Oh, wait. I guess it would be if you actually gave it to your mother. I dedicate this card to several people. First, Cath over at Moxie Fab World. Who is not my mother. But, who did host a super cool Anne Taintor challenge a while back. Being the uber trendy person that I am {ha!} I apparently like to be the very last person to jump on any one bandwagon, so here I am joining in 3 months later. I've had all these Taintor images and sayings floating around in my noggin since the challenge, but none of them struck me as THE ONE. Until this little card came to be. I credit the Homespun collection by GCD Studios because this little lady was just made to be trimmed out and stuck on a card with a sassy, somewhat inappropriate saying. (The stickers are by October Afternoon and I am totally digging how the white on black kind of has a super modern feel in the midst of the vintage retro image.) It makes me smile. My husband and I had quite an interesting time googling "holla" and the like. Let me just say that if you are unsure about what is the correct urban way to actually spell a phrase like "holla at your mother" {because spelling it out all nice and polite that way just doesn't seem to do it justice, does it?} prepare yourself because this phrase is often followed by some very... colorful... language. I'm just sayin'. I went with this spelling because, oddly, it reminds me of my dad back when "yo" was an intregal part of common venacular.
So, therefore, this card also goes out to Mom and Dad. Who may not appreciate the actual sentiment, but will probably appreciate the sentiment behind the sentiment.
And, finally, this card goes out to my friend, Emily.
Who taught my 6 year old to say "HOLLA!" And said 6 year old now takes great joy in trying to teach his 2 year old brother to be all hip and urban just like him.
"Zekey... come on... HOLLA!" Happy Mother's Day, friends!
{PS... supplies for this card can be found over at Emma's Paperie... right here.}

7 comments:

Broni said...

I LOVE this, Jessica! LOVE IT!!! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

B said...

heehee, too cute!!

Anna @ FryeFamHappenings said...

hahahaha Oh my goodness. I think my mom would faint if I sent this card to her. My boys on the other hand, would probably send it to me. Titus, just this morning, came up to me with his outstretched fist and said, "Blow it up, Mom!"

Ellie said...

This made me giggle.. cause living in NY guess what I hear mostly every day... hmm Oh yeah!- "Holla at me Yo".. ROFl... Ahhh got to love the Urban life ;) Love this card!

Melissa Sauls said...

LOL, I just LOVE this card!! Best sentiment...EVAAAAH! :)

Amy Rohl said...

LOL, Jess! Love it!

Unknown said...

Cath here, who is not your mother, but loves this moxie fab card! And it's never too late to rock a trend, Jess! Glad you had so much fun with this one! :)