witticisms by Jess Witty

January 23, 2011

10MSPC Recycled Style

My husband has been out of the country for a week. And before he left, I had visions of accomplishing all sorts of projects. From the overdue {anyone else's Christmas decorations still out?} to the ambitious {sewing slipcovers for the dining room table's host chairs} and a few things in between {tackle the laundry, get ahead on projects before leaving for CHA, etc.}. Husband gone... leaving me with 3 small children... all day... every day... no break whatsoever... {did I say ALL day already}... seriously, I have no idea what I was thinking when I thought there might be time to accomplish any of that. You'd think I'd know better by now... almost 7 years into this whole parenting gig, right? Buuuuut, no. However, I did manage to tackle a project involving antiques. Those round, shiny, disk like items that we all used to buy our music on. Anyone remember those? :) For the last several years we have been waging a {losing} war of epic proportions: Kids vs. CDs The kids usually won. Meaning I usually lost. But no more. Only took me 6 long years, but I finally conquered one of those "I'm totally going to do that project next!" projects and moved all of those disks into a zippered case. I know you all did that eons ago, but hey, no judgement here. One trash bag later and I felt about a ton lighter. It was not until I was literally taking said bag out to the trash can that I started second thinking throwing all the inserts away. Is anyone else out there a reformed save-aholic? Not a hoarder, exactly. I never saved everything. Just more than I needed to. I've come a loooong way on that one in the last few years, but it occasionally still hits me. So I did what any good reformed savaholic would do, walked myself back inside, and resuced a few of the said inserts from the bag. Just a few. And only the best ones. With lots of interesting pictures and artwork and text. I mean... come on... they are designed by professionals to pack a huge punch in such a small space. But I only saved them because I knew I would put them directly in my scrap pile to live another day right here...

as today's 10 Minute Scrap Pile card. In the form of a Valentine for my husband. {Look at me... early and everything!} It is perfect for him. Hearts, but still manly. Colorful, but in a masculine way. Instead of ribbons, glitter, or rhinestones for interest, I went with some foam tape for depth. Keeps it interesting but still clean and simple. I shadowed the sentiment because I thought it would fit with the overall feel. Just stamp, then move the stamp up and left and stamp again. {Click on it for a liarger version... it's totally legible that way.} I added a little die cut heart to emphasize the sentiment, but I figured I could get away with it on a Valentine card. Kinda fun, right? I love the mix of patterns and colors all living happing together on one card. I have to admit... it's one of my faves. Using unexpected things just makes me happy :) {CD Cover Valentine} card Stamps - Fillable Frames #11 Cardstock - Soft Stone, White Ink - True Black Die - Love Lives Here Collection Other - various CD inserts, folk heart punch (EK Success)

9 comments:

Margaret C said...

I LOVE IT !!

I was recently throwing out CD's that had skipped etc but I kept the jewel cases to store my clear stamps in.... I figure if it's good enough for PTI.. !! Lovin' your work, lady !!

PS our CDs are still (mostly) in their cases ...BUUUT we only have 1 under-7 who is remarkably biddable when it comes to things like that ... !

paula e. said...

oh - your comment about digging stuff out of the "to go" bag hit home...i constantly struggle to stifle the urge to save everything (because once i needed something the day after i got rid of it...) so i can totally relate! love the valentine card! it's perfect!

Charlene Austin said...

You totally had me laughing! I fear becoming a hoarder so I watch the show and the anxiety it causes me keeps me in control.

Oh how I wish I was going to CHA so we could have our sisterly reunion...heehee. The CD card is brilliant and Hello....that heart die is PTI?! Darn you Jessica!!!! I do not neeeeed another heart die.

Tiff said...

Love your double stamped sentiment and those fabbie hearts! I cracked up at your story because I can totally relate! YAY for getting the CDs in one place!

Unknown said...

Brilliant!

(-: Heidi

NatQuebec said...

really nice card ! He will love it for sure .

FLEUR de Lo said...

Wow! You're good at this!

Rae said...

Very, Very cool!

Tassie said...

What a neat way to use those CD covers. Love the simple card. It says it all... and you are right... it is masculine enough!! I am sure he will enjoy it. Thanks for the new word.... "save-aholic" Sounds much better than a hoarder... and actually describes me better.... thanks!!