witticisms by Jess Witty

May 12, 2012

On the Farm

Annnnnnd Papertrey Ink's May release is on :)

The Papertrey Ink team is kicking off the May release today with our first group post of the month... woohoo!  Today we're featuring one of PTI's brand new stamp sets... On the Farm. 

So, obviously, I bring you milk & cookies...


What?  You mean cookies aren't the first thing you think of when you hear farm?? 

It was really the cow image that did it to me.  The On the Farm set has lots of little animal silhouettes and sayings, but once I honed in on that little cow silhouette, I was done.  Milk! 

Not to mention milk's popular cohort... cookies :)



I've seen the cookies-stacked-on-milk-jars idea floating around on pinterest for a while but I wanted to put my own spin on it by giving the jars a bit of an update. 

I used some simple Starbucks Frappuccino jars from the grocery store for this project.  (My Kroger store also had a store brand of the same product that were a little lower in price.  The jars were not identical, but very similar - I went with Starbucks only because they had a "light" version and hey, I'm not getting up at 4:45am to kickbox every day for nothing ;)

I die cut the True Black cardstock circles first (I used the circle die from the Limitless Layers: 2 1/2" Circle Die Collection), then placed the cow die in the middle of the die cut and ran it through my die cutting machine again.

That left me with a modern vintage style negative label to add to the front of each jar... super simple. 

I ran my die cuts through an Xyron machine to add adhesive to the back, then went around the outside edges with a bit of ScorTape to make sure they would adhere well to the cold bottles. 


The striped paper straws by Kikkerland.  I gave in to the paper straw hype and bought some for a Super Mario themed birthday party last year (my son's party which was also my own party since we share a birthday...  Happy Super Mario birthday for me !  I bought mine from Amazon but I also saw some boxes at Bed Bath & Beyond just this week.) 

I love little details like straw flags!  Don't you think that it's sometimes the small details that really make a project? 

I die cut the flags out using the double-ended banner die.  I used one of the sweet On the Farm sentiments to add a little thank you to each one, then used my adhesive runner on the back sides.  A little wrap around the straw and done :)

I went with the thank you sentiment since I originally pictured this as a super quick and easy teacher appreciation gift idea... maybe bringing several to share with your favorite teachers as an afternoon snack :) 
I'll be taking mine to say thanks to some special childcare helpers I know.  Because anyone that watches my 3 super angelic children with the patience of a saint deserves a special treat every now and then.  Or daily :)
{And because who doesn't love milk & cookies?  Anyone?  Anyone?}

Any cookie with a hole in the middle will work. I was tempted to bake my own (of course!) and use a tiny circle cutter for the center, but seeing as how this was supppsed to be a super quick and easy idea, I went with some good ol' Keebler Fudge Stripes.


Quick.
Easy.
Yummy.

Not to mention affordable if you're making these for a crowd :)

You can see that I switched out the first sentiment to show a different option...


I'd love to see lots of these all lined up and ready for a baby shower :) In fact... there will be a baby shower for a friend happening soon and yup, this idea will be making an appearance :)

Not gonna lie... if it was me... and I had a glass of milk like this... I'd want more like this many cookies to go along with it...


See?

Yum.
If you don't love milk and cookies... I might not trust you :)


One more little project for you.
I wanted to show you something a little different take on On the Farm... this one is a bit more traditional. 

When I think of farm stye... I don't necessarily think "clean and simple."  However, this set is actually really well suited for it.  I especially love this simple little scene...


The sky, ground, and barn images are actually 3 separate images... love that there are lots of stamping and layering options that way. 

I started by spraying a panel of white cardstock with a yellow Tattered Angels spray and then overstamped it with the sky image in Harvest Gold.  That gave me an image with 2 tones of gold instead of a gold on white image. 

I stamped the little windmill right on top of my sunshine panel, masking off the barn so that I could add it separately.  All that took was stamping it on a scrap in Pure Poppy, trimming it out, and adding it to the rest of the image with some foam tape.   

The little grassy section was stamped separately, trimmed out, and added on top.


I have to say... this was one of those rare and fun instances where it actually turned out just like I pictured it in my head... right down to the sentiment underneath :)  Good times, good times.

More cutie pie On the Farm projects and good times to be found with the rest of the team right here...

Soooo... thoughts on whether a milk and cookie gift is a good one...?

And... confession time... who here is thinking that they don't like milk and cookies?
Because I need to know which one of you not to trust ;)

More PTI new-ness to come in a few days!
New-ness that might involve baking.
Shocker, I know :)

Later, friends!


{Many Thanks} Milk & Cookies treats
Supplies not available now but available 5/15: 
Stamps - On the Farm
Dies - On the Farm
Supplies available now:
Ink - Fresh Snow
Cardstock - True Black
Die - Limitless Layers 2.5" Circle Die Collection

{New Roost} card
Supplies not available now but available 2/15: 
Stamps - On the Farm
Supplies available now:
Cardstock - White
Ink - True Black, Harvest Gold, Simply Chartreuse, Pure Poppy
Other - Tattered Angels mist

23 comments:

Katie Gehring said...

Oh my goodness, Jess, this is fabulous! I am in LOVE with the whole kit and kaboodle that you put together here from the cookies and milk to that sweet and simple card. I am also very trustworthy as I haven't met many cookies that I don't like!

Suzanne Russell said...

Love the simplicity of your clever and yummy idea!

Cheryl B. said...

This is a fantastic idea. If only Oreos had a hole in them ( it's Oreos 100th anniversary you know)! Where did you get the milk bottles? I will definitely "borrow' your idea. Love the cow silhouette! I'm a cookie lover from way back. Except those windmill cookies, not sweet enough for me.

Leigh Penner said...

Oooh, I love your milk & cookies bottles-- they're wonderful!
Great card, too, Jessica!

Kristii said...

Love, love, love your milk and cookies bottles!! What a great idea!!!

see mary stamp said...

You can totally trust me Jessica. I'm the milk and cookies poster child. LOL! Great project!

Pendra said...

You can just call me "TRUSTABLE"!!! This is such a darling idea, thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Ah-ha! A lady after my own heart...I would definitely choose the one with the most cookies!! ;D Adore your "sweet" idea! And the card at the bottom is so fresh and clean and easy-peasy! Now...I know YOU are trustworthy to me, too!

Aimes said...

Seriously awesome! I love this idea and I love the amount of cookies you'd personally have with your milk :)
Hugs!
x

Elizabeth S. said...

I just love your cookies and milk idea! What a fun idea!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaand... two more genius projects by Jessica Witty! Wow, there's nothing I don't like whenever I stop by your blog. Oh, and you would be surprised of how many nights my only dinner consists in milk and cookies due to being too tired to cook after work :)

Bev Gerard said...

Well this just makes the barnyard busy with animal-noise glee!!
What a delightful concoction!

Sharon D said...

Super cute projects! Your little milk bottles are so fun - and I do think they're even better with the bigger cookie stack! And your CAS new home card is so sweet too! I can't wait to see the rest of your projects for this release!

Cristina said...

You never fail to amaze me. Modern cows. Striped straws. Tiny tags. Love it all.

Renee said...

I've been collecting Frappuccino bottles just for these kind of projects!!
Seriously...
I don't drink it...
I LOVE coffee...
I only function because of it...
but that's not coffee!
Ssshhh...
don't tell but I buy them on sale and then pour it out...
but since I need the bottles I'm justified I think!
And now I will have a cow to use on them...
YAY!!!
Fabulous projects...
but you had me at cookies!
*giggle*

Kathy Mc said...

Yes, Jess, you can definitely trust me. Always want ice cold milk with my cookies, and I'm not fussy when it comes to cookie-type either. What an adorable idea using the bottles with the straw and cookies! Your card is also fabulous. What a fun release!

Cary M. said...

Love the milk and cookies idea!!! Great Job!!!

Anonymous said...

KathyC

Love the milk and cookies idea, what fun at a Birthday Party (big or small people). Your cards are just beautiful and fun!

F said...

I almost choked...I was having milk and cookies while checking out all the new goodies that are coming. I love this idea...AMAZING!!! oh, and great card, also!

jintyoo7 said...

Too cute - love your card - that image is delightful :)

Charlene Austin said...

Ok this is redonk! Girl, I'm loving it. I'll share a stack of cookies with you any day.

Kari D said...

Can I just say that I LOVE your project.....and SERIOUSLY who does not love cookies and milk? Especially chocolate cookies and ice cold milk....with a cow....and a striped straw! LOVE THIS. But the project was over the top with your prose. I love the little comments....it is just like we were having a conversation and you inject a little aside that only friends would understand. THANK YOU for the amazing project and making me feel like a friend.

Daca said...

You're a genius, every think is sweet and look delicious. Very clever combination and look very original. Thank you for great idea.