witticisms by Jess Witty

May 14, 2013

Ruby Rose

 
Welcome back, folks!
 
The Papertrey Ink design team is coming together again today to share more all new products from the May release :)  {Don't forget... all of PTI's new products will be available beginning May 15th at Papertrey Ink.}
 
And today's feature?
Meet the all new floral set... Ruby Rose...

 

Pretty, isn't she?

A few posts back I mentioned my lack of expertise in the area of pastel colors.
To put it simply... they kinda scare me.

I'm not sure if it's just because I've become so comfortable with colors in the more saturated, bright range or what.

Anyhow... I ventured out on a pastel ledge a while back and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd revisit the ledge again :)  This little inspiration helped push me back out there...

{Etsy's Paper & Pip}
 
I love that the pastel pink is mixed with some stringer pinks and greens.  And that banner!
 
The Ruby Rose blooms and sentiment are a little bigger than the above design so I just stuck with the idea of the layout and the color palette.  I switched to a white card base because I didn't want to get too far out on my ledge ;)
 

The long notched die from the previously released Get a Handle On It die makes for a perfectly sized Ruby Rose banner.  A little masking on the sentiment made it easy to break into two sections.

I placed the banner and light pencil line around it, then removed it and stamped the flowers and leaves.  {Sweet Blush, Hibiscus Burst, and Simply Chartreuse gave me that mix of pastel plus more saturated colors.} The pencil line also made it easy to line up the second part of the sentiment and get that stamped correctly. 


I added a little curve to the banner for some movement.  The trick to the gentle curve here was in adhering the right side to the card, but wrapping the left side of the banner around to the back of the white panel and adhering it behind.
 
The white panel is adhered to a Sweet Blush card base so the banner is tucked away and hidden ;)
 
 
I'm happy with it!
I know it's not a daring color combination for most of you but it feels like something new for me.
 
And... I had the Hunger Games playing on my computer when I worked on this one, so I just could not keep myself from saying "Thank you EVER so much!" in the Hunger Games voice ;)
 
 
 
And now back to my regularly scheduled brighter colors...


It's funny... I know that it's not, but I think of this one as monotone because the flowers and sentiment are the same color.  Weird! 

I love that bright white embossing on top of a bright pattern... it's a simple way to make a big pop and really show off the images.


I had the top panel made and ready to go and added the Aqua Mist patterned paper and aqua enamel dots at the last minute.  It totally changed the color scheme and, in my mind, made it all come together.  I love a little jolt of unexpected.


Well, folks... there's *lots* more to be seen with Ruby Rose today... just stop on in with the rest of the team for more...
Nichole Heady
Betsy Veldman

And there's one more big momma of a post tomorrow :)
See ya then!



{Ever So Much} card
Supplies not available now but available 5/15: 
Stamps - Ruby Rose
Supplies available now:
CS - White, Sweet Blush
Ink - Sweet Blush, Hibiscus Burst, Simply Chartreuse, True Black
Die - Get a Handle On It, Medium Scallop Border
Other - rhinestones

{Very Happy Birthday} card
Supplies not available now but available 5/15: 
Stamps - Ruby Rose
Supplies available now:
CS - Aqua Mist; orange (My Mind's Eye)
PP - Aqua Mist
Ink - VersaMark
Other - Filigree White embossing powder, enamel dots (MME)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely love your "pastel ledge" Truly beautiful cards, Jess!

15pawsmom said...

The pastels turned out so pretty -- and the way you curved the sentiment banner just really makes that card extra special. It was the 'just right' touch!

TLady said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the colors you've used on BOTH of your cards!!!!!!!!!! AND THAT BANNER IS FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) WOW!!!!!!!!!!! (NOW, I want to try this!) :)

Nancy Penir said...

Completely in love with your pastelly adventure! Especially the tucked in banner!

Holly Saveur said...

LOVE your pastel card such a beauty..you really have the feel for using it...!!
Such a great idea he banner too!

andie smith. said...

that curved banner is so fun! i love how you embossed in white over the pattern paper! i need to try that so i can use up some of my pretty papers, i always shy away from them. thanks for the inspiration today!

Sharon said...

Your pastels are very pretty and love the banner!

jintyoo7 said...

Absolutely gorgeous, love the wavy banner :)

Danielle Flanders said...

The first card is amazing - wow! Love it so much!
Dani

nancy said...

Completely diggin' the brights in the second picture. (For some reason, the strip of aqua pp is throwing me off when looking at the first of the two bright photos.) The white embossing on the pp makes such a bold statement.

And, then, there's your first card, which I should have discussed first, but I was a breech baby so everything is backwards for me. I love your modern take of retro elements. The way you worked the sentiment is incredible. And maybe you should visit that ledge one or two more times.

Debra Miller said...

Wonderful cards - love the 3-d wavy banner. Amazing

Kathy H said...

Very cute! So much you can do with this stamp set!

Anonymous said...

I forgot how much I love orange. I just blogged today about teal/blue being my favourite colour but orange is definite runner up/equal first.